Just in time for Christmas, I bring you one of my most favourite summer desserts. Christmassy Gingerbread Ice Cream with chunks of fresh gingerbread.
A very simple recipe that looks and tastes impressive.
This recipe is very similar in method to the Rosemary Ice Cream I made not so long ago, with main difference being that it has the gingerbread spices we all know and love, plus, the added chunks of crunchy/chewy real gingerbread (get my gingerbread recipe here).
- 600ml bottle of thickend cream
- 1 tablespoon of golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- gingerbread cookies broken into chunks (see my recipe on the blog)
- Place all of the ingredients (except the gingerbread cookie chunks) in a saucepan and bring to almost a boil while continuously stirring.
- Turn down to a simmer for 5 mins.
- Allow to cool and then transfer to a storage container with a lid.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight as this will allow the flavour to further develop.
- Add mixture to an ice cream maker and follow manufactures instructions to create ice cream.
- Fold in the chunks of gingerbread.
- Ice cream will be of a soft serve consistency, so I place mine in a baking tin, covered with foil and placed in the freezer until ready to serve.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and safe New Year.
See you in 2017!