It was only last year that I was in a Vietnamese restaurant having a big bowl of Pho (I’m working on a wheat free version of that too…coming fairly soon) that I tried iced tea for the very first time and I was hooked from the first sip.
After a bit of fiddling around, I’ve come up with my version. It’s nothing groundbreaking…a little too simple really.
I like simple.
And it’s pink!
- 2 peaches, washed, halved & stones removed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water (or syrup) plus 3 cups extra (boiling) to make tea
- 2 teabags (I used Australian Breakfast tea but just use your favourite plain tea)
- Mint leaves (optional)
- Place sugar and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan.
- Heat on low and constantly stir to dissolve sugar.
- Once dissolved, place peaches in saucepan and bring to (almost) a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, cover and set aside for at least 30 mins. (see note)
- In a heatproof jug add remaining boiled water and tea bags and steep for 2 mins (much longer and tea will be bitter).
- Discard teabags.
- Remove peaches from syrup (I add to smoothies or baking)
- Mix syrup with tea and chill.
- Pour over ice and add mint leaves to serve.
The peaches will freeze well in a suitable container and make yummy additions to smoothies.