Do you have a regular go-to dinner?
One that’s foolproof and guaranteed to be a winner every single time?
I do…and this is it….my Roast Chicken with Greek Rice Stuffing.
This simple roast is usually on the menu every week because it’s just so easy and delicious. Sometimes I serve it with roast veggies (like my Roasted Cauliflower) and other times with a tasty salad or two…just like this one.
- Fresh roasting chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 rashers of bacon chopped/diced
- 1 small onion diced
- zest of one lemon plus the juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic (either fresh or dried)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 180ºC
- Cook onion and bacon either in a frypan or grill (I grilled it because I currently don't have a cook top) until onion is soft and bacon is crispy.
- Combine onion, bacon, rice, garlic, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon oregano, salt and pepper, lemon juice and zest in a bowl.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan and pat skin dry.
- Stuff chicken with rice stuffing.
- Drizzle olive oil over chicken and sprinkle with remaining oregano, salt and pepper.
- Roast depending on weight. I usually calculate 30mins per 500g weight and then add extra 20 mins to the overall total (because of the stuffing).
- You can check if chicken is cooked when juices run clear.